Sawgrass Nature Center’s “CAMP WILD”
An Environmental Camp for Kids 6-12 yrs.
Education is a cornerstone of the Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital– “In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught”.
Camp Wild programs inspire an appreciation of South Florida’s unique environment and wildlife through fun, hands-on activities. Each day of camp features new lessons, games, encounters with live animals, and nature crafts. Kids will overcome fears and learn to safely explore the wild world around them. Our outdoor classroom, diverse wildlife, and wide range of activities and presenters make this camp a unique experience.
Themes for Summer Camp 2015
Schedule subject to change
- Week 1, June 8 – 12 – Saving the Species: a look at causes of extinction/biodiversity loss and humans’ role in both.
- Week 2, June 15 – 19 – Playing with Your Food!: the interactions of animals and their eating habits.
- Week 3, June 22 – 26 – Fun with Flight: looking at the mechanics of flight in nature from dragonflies to eagles.
- Week 4, June 29 – July 3 – Protecting Earth’s Bounty: understanding the importance of and learning strategies and concepts to conserve Earth’s resources.
- Week 5, July 6 – 10 – Underwater Explorers & Fishing: meeting the creatures and plants that live beneath the surface & fishing with YEA!.
- Week 6, July 13 – 17 – Super Senses: using a different sense each day to explore and learn about nature.
- Week 7, July 20 – 24 – Furry Friends: a week meeting Florida’s mammals and learning about their adaptations and habitats.
- Week 8, July 27 – 31 – Water Week!: the water cycle and it’s importance to plants, animals, and humans.
- Week 9, Aug 3 – 7 – Wild Survival: learning wilderness techniques that include knot tying, orienteering and emergency first aid.
- Week 10, Aug 10 – 14 – Rulers of the Sky: looking at birds of prey and the adaptations that allow them to be masters of their domain.
- Week 11, Aug 17 – 21 – Cycles of Life: looking into the different cycles that sustain life.
Camp is $200/week for non-members & $180/week for members. A Fox Family membership is $50 and can also be purchased.
Camp may be cancelled if we do not have the minimum number of registered campers within ONE WEEK of the scheduled camp day(s)/week.
No refunds for camp will be made unless notice is given one full week in advance or camp is full. A $25 processing fee will be charged for all cancellations. A $15 fee will be added for late registration turned in after 3pm on the Saturday prior to the start of camp.
If your child becomes ill or needs to leave camp for the week, a credit will be offered for days not attended. This credit is valid for one year.
For more information, please call the Center at 954-752-WILD (9453), or email us at email@example.com.